Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 11 Of Our Roadtrip!

Wait a minute....what happened to days 7, 8, 9 and 10!!! I thought you might be thinking something along those lines. Basically....they are still being drafted and I haven't had the time to get them finished. Today was such a great day that I wanted to get it recorded! Today, the reason we are on this roadtrip was fulfilled!! Mark's nephew, Porter, was baptized!! He was glowing all day! It was really fun to watch! When he came up out of the water he shivered and said 'cold' which we all chuckled at. But, I turned to Christian and asked if he saw and he looked at me and said 'I don't want to be baptized mom.' He had such a concerned look on his face. I little surprised by this statement I simply told him he had 4 years to think about it. Mark asked him why and he said 'I don't want water in my ears!' We told him he would be fine and then he asked 'Will the water be cold?' We chuckled!! I told him I would call the day before and make sure it wouldn't be cold! It was a rather comical conversation!!! Any way, we are very proud of Porter and his decision of being baptized!
Porter and his dad, Tim! 
Sadly, because we came here I missed my niece, Madelyn's, baptism today. I am also very proud of her for her decision and wish I could have been in both places to share in their special moments!!! After the baptism we took Mark's nieces, Abby, Libby and Whitney, along with Christian to Mount Vernon!! Mount Vernon is the home of President George Washington. It is 8,000 gorgeous achres of quiet, peaceful, beautiful land!!
My close up picture of the beautiful home!  Seriously, no picture does the place justice!!  It's so large that you can't get it all in one picture unless it's from a helicopter!

A shot without zooming in! 
I LOVE Mount Vernon!! It is such a beautiful place! This is my second time there! Our first time was around Thanksgiving 2008 and we were in for a special treat!! The mansion has three stories but they only give a tour of the bottom two except the month of George and Marsha's wedding anniversary when they allow you to tour the third level. It just happens that their wedding anniversary is in November so we were able to see the 3rd level! Well, 230 years ago today was the battle of Yorktown which was the final and decisive battle of the revolutionary war! Because of this, they had a military camp set up and they had lots of people dressed as people from 1781 soldiers and women! It was pretty fun!!

The military camp they recreated.
Christian having his picture taken with a soldier!
They also did a reenactment of General Washington strategizing with General Rochembeau of France! The funniest part was watching Mark!! It was like watching a kid in a candy store! He loves history, especially when it involves George Washington! The man who was being George Washington was rather good at it! He never broke character!
General George Washington talking to the crowd about his decision for the battle in Yorktown.
They also had the men line up after this reenactment and act as if they were marching into the battle at Yorktown.
The soldiers lined up getting ready to march.

They were loading their guns to take test shot to make sure they were working properly before the march.  Of course, it wasn't real bullets....just making sure you were aware!  ;)
It was lots of fun to be there and see these things! I'm not a huge history buff so I wasn't as giddy as Mark but I enjoy seeing the history.
Mark and Christian getting their picture taken with 'General Washington'!  Seriously...kid in a candy store...look at that smile!!!
We headed back for dinner and some birthday cake and icecream! Today is so happens to be Porters birthday as well and it is also Mark's sister, Michelle's!! Mark and I went and bought two cakes and I was determined that we would put 44 candles on Michelle's cake and I swear I almost lit the house on fire!! 
This is a picture of 44 candles melting the frosting off the top of a birthday cake!!  It was pretty awesome!!!
It was such a great day! Sadly, tomorrow is our last day in Virginia. Monday we begin the final week of our trip back home....but, it will be a good one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment